[C320-list] Charger/battery fuses

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Tue Sep 10 09:23:11 PDT 2013

Hi Bruce,

The short answer is yes, your upgrade is probably the culprit. To answer
your questions, the fuse is there to protect the wire, not the device and
per ABYC any wire attached directly to the battery should be fused within 7"
of the battery's positive terminal. I had a '99 as well and Catalina did not
do a very good job of properly fusing our boats. They get around the 7" rule
by putting the wire in conduits--different discussion.

So you need a fuse that will protect your wire based on size and large
enough to meet the current requirements of the device it is attached to. If
your '99 was wired as mine was, it is probably a 6 gauge wire rated for 105
degrees. If this is the case, then you could install a fuse as large as 120A
and as small as 40A (the size of the load of your charger). Since the load
on this wire will never carry anything but your charger's max amperage, 40
would be fine. An elegant way to accomplish this is with a Blue Seas MRBF
fuse holder/fuse. These simply attach to the positive terminal on your
battery. If your main battery positive cables are also not protected by a
fuse (mine was not). You can purchase a dual MRBF and take care of both.
Having said this, make sure the fuse is not blowing due to a cut or chafe in
the wire which would cause a dead short and potentially a fire--this is
exactly what the fuse is designed to protect against...
The Blue Seas website has some excellent information on this topic. Also
google 'Marine Ampacity Tables' for fuse sizing. WM and Calder also have
this information...

Regards,

Jon Vez (formerly 99 #582)