[C320-list] anti freeze

dprudden dprudden at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 14:06:39 PDT 2014

Bill,
What color is your antifreeze? If it's the traditional green, then you should be able to use auto antifreeze. If it's orange, then you have Dexcool and you absolutely can't mix the two. There is often a reaction between the two where the antifreeze jells, and ruins the engine, so be sure you know what type of antifreeze is in your engine. Karl Mielenhausen wrote a good article a few years ago on the procedure to change antifreeze types (it's easy to do-I did it last fall).

BoatUS recommends changing coolant every 2 years. The antifreeze chemicals still work-apparently it's the lubricating chemicals that are no longer effective. I thought every 5 years was enough....I guess I need to rethink that.

David Prudden

Sent from my iPhone