[C320-list] anti freeze

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 13:38:13 PDT 2014

The antifreeze issue always puzzled me. In our, now 20 yr old Perkins, I
drained all the old AF but didn't flush with fresh water as I later learned
is a good practice especially if you don't know what type of AF is in there.
The reason, I've heard, is that some older type AF is not compatible with
others and can actually gel-up if improperly mixed. Not a bad idea to flush
anyway.
So, what I now use is a 50/50 pre-mix I buy at an auto store. If you mix
your own AF be sure to use only distilled water. I've also heard that all
modern auto AF is compatible with iron and alum engines, so may no longer be
a problem. But, if you don't know, FLUSH first.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62