[C320-list] Diesel Leak on Starboard tack

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Aug 4 09:34:42 PDT 2014

Fuel tank leaks other than due to corrosion as the tank ages with corrosive debris collecting in the lower front port side corner of the tank where that stuff normally settles,  could also be due to the sender unit gasket leaking. Or, as I discovered, even the fitting screwed into the petcock ( fuel shut off valve located on top of the tank).  I found had a crack in that shut off valve fitting with some very old sealer dabbed around it (likely from with the tank was installed.....since I purchased the 320 new in Feb. 1995).  I was painted/smeared/lathered some NAPA thread sealer all around the sender unit gasket and over all of sender unit screws to curtail the sender fuel seepage since the new sender gasket was not sufficient to do the job. As I was ready to reinstall the storage shelf, I noticed moisture around the edge of the fuel hose connected to the shut off valve. When I grabbed the hose to twist it to see if was simply loose, the fitting separated with very little twisting pressure; my lucky day, really - fixing two problems during the same repair visit!

Regarding the aluminum fuel tank leakage due to aging and corrosive damage, I am going to buy a replacement tank soon, and plan to change out the old one this fall as a preventative measure to avoid a future fuel leakage problem. This year's sender unit seepage episode and subsequent clean-up processes convinced me I do not want to find several gallons of fuel in the area between the hull and the liner over the boating season or after a storage season. The marine service folks I checked with told me that they are now replacing a higher number of aluminum tanks for several makes of  boats built in the mid-80's thru early 90's. I learned that an aluminum tank replacement can occur anywhere from 10 to 20 some years depending on care of the fuel system with an expected tank life cycle of around 15 years. My hull was placed into service in spring of 95, so I going to replace the tank...I  routinely  draw a gallon or so of fuel from the front lower port corner of the tank every 4-5 years, but that is no assurance that I am getting the bad debris out because of the tank baffles and because without an inspection port in that area and must rely on access thru the sender port.

The  320 fuel tank replacement process would make an excellent technical notes article for the Mainsheet if anyone has some pictures of the tank replacement drill to share with 320 owners.

Rick
1995 My-Ria
320 Hull #277