[C320-list] Alternator replacement

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:32:50 PDT 2014

I have replaced the original Lucas alternator on our Perkins M30; and,
learned a lot in the process. That was 6 or 7 years ago. It is running fine
and I never regretted the effort.
That said, let me offer some ideas:
-- Given that the belt and pulleys on the M30 are 3/8", the largest
alternator they will support is in the range of 80-100 Amp. I learned this
after I bought a 120A unit, and even now throttle it down to 80A via the
regulator. Also, the bigger the output, the bigger the unit. Given that
space is a premium here, don't buy bigger than 80-100 amps.
-- Unfortunately, the Perkins was not built to US auto standards so the
mounts available from Balmar and others don't fit the Perkins. I had to
modify both the lower mount attachment on the engine and the upper
adjustment arm. This was a project in itself involving a machine shop and a
welder. These changes were necessary to get the new alternator pulley to
line-up with the pulleys on the engine. Maybe there are better options
available on the market today.
-- I highly recommend you add an external regulator. Do not even consider
internal regulation.
-- You may also need to consider a heaver positive cable from the
alternator. The original cable from the Lucas alternator was connected to
the positive on the starter so the charge was sent back to whichever battery
bank was selected. This cable may not be of sufficient gage to carry the
higher amperage. Because I was also adding a start battery, paralleling the
two 4D's as the house bank, and changing the master switch more wiring
considerations were necessary.

I urge you to understand the current wiring of the charging system and
consider carefully what changes you should/must make. Be sure to read the
two approaches to alternator upgrade on the C320 web site, and consult a
marine electrician if you feel this is over your head.

I have an article on the changes I made I'm happy to send to you. Send a
message off-list and I'll send it to you.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62