[C320-list] Perkins running hot

JeffWillis111 at aol.com JeffWillis111 at aol.com
Tue Aug 12 17:53:04 PDT 2014

Hello All,

Yesterday the trusty Perkins began to run a little hot motoring out so I
returned to the dock.  Actually about 30 degrees hotter than  normal.  I
started at the raw water strainer to make sure in was clear  and noticed the
flow into strainer was very slow.  So I removed hose from  Marelon seacock and
checked flow coming from here.  Barely enough to  half fill hose, I was
expecting a much greater flow than this because 2 months  ago I repacked my
stuffing box at the dock and the rate of flow coming here was  much greater.

The Marelon  seacock on hull 174 has a right angle fitting on top  above
shut off handle held in place by 4 screws. Newer seacocks online dont  appear
to have these 4 screws.

My question is can I remove theses screws to remove the right angle fitting
 to gain better access to ball valve?   I could not really get anything  to
push thru the right angle fitting to try and clear a possible  obstruction.
  Visiblity was about 2 ft underwater here in Punta  Gorda, FLA, Charlotte
Harbor so diving was not successful.  I hooked up a  hose to the exhaust
side of my small shop vac and blew air backwards thru the  seacock and thought
I may have cleared some algae (diver coming Thursday to  clean bottom).

Hooked everything back up and tried again and still runnning  hot.   There
are a lot of bubbles in strainer bowl when engine is  running.  I never
noticed this before.  Is this normal?

thanks,

Jeff Willis
ESPRIT #174