[C320-list] Perkins running hot

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Tue Aug 12 19:27:39 PDT 2014

Try using a dingy step air pump or even a stiff but barely flexible
electrical wire or cord that you can feed into the seacock from the hull
side. You may have picked up some trash or even some weeds. I had  complete
blockages for several years in row due to picking up some weeds and even a
root ball from an aquatic plant that was firmly stuck in the  inlet on the
water side of the hull.  Since the blockages seem to occur in mid or late
summer, I got pretty good at I diving for the prop shaft while clutching a
line tied to the genoa winch.  It was easier to dive rather than to pull off
the hose and fiddle with the blockage from the dry side. After 2-3 dives I
could clear the blockage with a small knife. The first thing I did after
haul-out in the fifth year of ownership was to install a round mushroom top
type grill/strainer with small round holes over the engine freshwater inlet.
Not another blockage since....
Rick
My-Ria 95 320 hull #277