[C320-list] Some instrument advice out there?

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:14:29 PDT 2014

Scott

Not a recommendation, but a consideration.  Consider a linear autopilot
instead of a wheel mounted belt drive.  The logic is that having a reliable
unit that can control your boat in all sea conditions gives you an extra
hand.  Control in difficult conditions reduces considerable stress and
improves safety.   There are well performing wheel units if you find the
cost of a linear unit prohibitive.  Search the forum posts and get some of
the opinions/experience.

To save a bit you might consider using your smart phone as a GPS
solution.  It's portable so you can have position information throughout
the boat, including on dinghy patrol.   I have no clue how to do it, but
networking to other instrumentation is supposed to be possible.  Again, not
a recommendation, but rather an alternative to a fixed mount solution.

Getting a boat with minimal instrumentation gives you the opportunity to
specify your own solutions.  Good luck with your investigation and
implementation.

Pat, 801

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Scott Westwood <scottwestwood at bellsouth.net