[C320-list] All I want for Christmas

Dave Rabinowitz windchill320 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:25:34 PST 2014

I installed a 100W solar panel on my bimini frame and regulator (Renogy on
Amazon)....had to remove the bimini itself, but only 'cause i didn't want
to figure out how to keep it there and wife is solar powered too, so we
never open it.

It is AMAZING!   I never worry about the batteries now, except for making
sure the water level is up.   While sailing, the boat "bus voltage" never
drops below 13 volts, indicating the panel is supporting the load
(autopilot, instruments, radios, no reefer)...I'm on a mooring, and always
come to boat with batteries at 13.3-13.4 volts...most excellent!

Didn't go thru the whole process as laho: kept lightweight bimini frame,
same pair of 4D wet cells, etc...installed the panel regulator next to the
shore power charger in the port cockpit locker, using the same long run
battery cables.

We're just day sailors pretty much, and use the boat on weekends, so don't
draw a tremendous amount of battery power.  I've toyed with the idea of
adding a second panel, but the frame is too small and lightweight to
support the load, and really, just don't have a need for it.

It has to be the best add-on i've done to the boat....(that and a digital
voltmeter on the panel :-))
dave
Wind Chill