[C320-list] Hatch update

Rod Boer rod.boer1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 19 11:00:13 PST 2014

All,

Some of you may recall that awhile back I was requesting information
regarding replacing the lens in the main cabin hatch on Odyssey.  Odyssey's
hull number is 688 and is a year 2000 boat.  I am providing this information
in the event some of you with serial numbers near mine are looking to
replace your lens.  What I have since determined is that the hatch on
Odyssey is a Lewmar COASTLINE, SZ44 12D9. It apparently was a pretty good
hatch but it is no longer supported for any parts by Lewmar. That doesn't
mean that you can't get a new lens put in it. I am aware of several
companies that will fabricate a lens that can be installed in this hatch.
Select Plastics is one and the other is Florida Rigging and Hydraulics.

I went with Florida Rigging and Hydraulics because some of the folks at the
marina indicated they received better prices from them and they were very
happy with the service. There is a difference between the hatches on Odyssey
versus the hatch that Catalina purchased for boats starting at some serial
number past mine.  Based on a description by Allan Fields, it sounds like he
has the newer Lewmar hatch.

I worked with Peter Linwick from Florida Rigging and Hydraulics.  He
indicated that from a lens perspective, the replacement lenses for the older
boats like Odyssey were simple to fabricate but difficult to install.  The
newer lenses like for Allan's boat which are "Low Profile Hatches" were more
complex to fabricate but easy to install.

Peter indicated that replacing the lens in my hatch might cost almost as
much as replacing the entire hatch.  In the end, because there weren't any
replacement parts for my hatch, I purchased replacement Low Profile Hatch SZ
44 39944030 through them.  I also found an article in which Gerry Douglas
indicated that this was the replacement hatch for the original. I will
provide additional information after the installation.

Contact information:

Peter Linwick

pete at rigginghydraulics.com

Rod Boer