[C320-list] Soaked Cockpit Cushions

Gary Magnuson gary.magnuson at frontier.com
Wed Feb 19 09:55:11 PST 2014

Wow That sounds like a real challenge that I would like to help with, if
I lived closer.  Your post asked for ideas, and these are just that...
good or bad!!!  Is there any way to physically vibrate the Zipper as
with one of the Dremel type tools? How about a visit to a canvas shop to
snip the stitching and replace the zipper? Perhaps they would have a
product that would work to loosen the zipper?  If welded the, the
zippers will need to be soaked in a product like liquid wrench or some
other corrosion solvent/lubricant, but it sounds like you have done
that. Have you tried Silicone spray?  With a SCUBA Dry suit zipper, they
use a paraffin product to keep it lubed and water tight.  Perhaps a
product like that with some external heat, hair dryer rather than a
small torch, would allow some penetration?

Here is a web site with some other ideas..
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/107912-corroded-zippers.html

While we have never had our zippers welded shut, we have managed to
leave them out to soak up a large volume of water and then the follow up
mildew on the inside of the vinyl.. I have hungrily eyed the C Cushions
at the boat show every year but they will have to take their turn in our
boat budget.

Good luck and be sure to post your end solution for our collective
future reference.

Gary Magnuson
Time A Weigh #205