[C320-list] Pad Eye on mast

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 6 15:24:50 PST 2014

Bill, I did this and can only tell you how I did it. I located the position
on the mast while under sail by attaching the pole to the sail and holding
the pole horizontal to the deck and marking the place on the mast where the
pole touched.

My mast has plastic conduits that carry the wires to the middle and top of
the mast (one conduit for each.) I used a drill stop set to slightly more
than the thickness of the mast material. Then, I tapped the hole for the
screw I used. After testing the screw in the new hole, I filed the end of
the screw flat so as not to project beyond the inside of the mast. Now, be
sure to use a thread sealing compound on the threads to provide a barrier
between the ss screw and aluminum mast. Don't use something like TefGel as
you want a barrier as well as a setting compound to hold the screw from
working loose. These you can find in WM or an auto parts store. (Sorry,
don't remember what I used.)

It has worked great for over 5 years and never come loose. Last year I
replaced the 150 Genoa with a 135. I didn't bother to change the pad eye and
it doesn't seem to make any difference. A few degrees more or less won't be
a problem.

Do check-out YouTube for videos on setting a whisker pole. I found I was
doing it all wrong at first.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"