[C320-list] A/C size survey

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 12 13:28:28 PST 2014

"Jelly Roll" Jerry (I like that, it, well, rolls off the tongue.) There is
an old joke about what someone says is a size and what size it really is.
We'll skip that. Perhaps it has to do with a marketing mind wanting his/her
product to have more sales appeal it actually does. Or, when is one BTU
really one BTU.

Apparently, there are A/C units on the market specified as, let's say 12K
BTU that only output 12K under certain circumstances, such as in a lab
environment with controlled input water temp, ambient temp, etc. What you
really get in practical use on the Chesapeake when the water temp is 80+
degF and the air temp is 90+ and the RH is 90+ is something entirely
different. Fortunately, we only have a few days or weeks of such (more now
than 10 years ago, it seems.) In FL, there are many more days like that.

While one supplier's A/C unit is 12K and another 16K, it's possible that
they work about the same. Perhaps, when the question is asked, you might
want to know the brand, model, and year of installed.

When Bruce and I bought our 12K units, the dealer asked if we were planning
on keeping the boat or are we installing with intention to sell. That made a
difference in which unit he would propose. That said, we took his advice and
bought the more expensive unit which he promised would deliver a true 12K
BTU. Who knows what we are actually getting; but, I can tell you that on
those 90/90 days when we arrive at the slip it takes very little time to
start cooling and get the inside temp down.

Reality is usually more complicated than we first imagine.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"