[C320-list] A/C size survey

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 14:14:59 PST 2014

Couple of boats down from Brian and have a 16000 Webasco FCF unit. Agree with Brian.

Jim Brown

 Subject: Re: [C320-list] A/C size survey
 To: C320-List at catalina320.com
 Date: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 3:17 PM

 I have a 16k BTU by Mermaid.  It
 is maintenance free reverse cycle a/c so
 we enjoy it year round in NC.  We are on Neuse River
 near Pamlico Sound so
 it is used in all 4 seasons.  Does great until outside
 air is at 40 degrees
 or lower it stays on a little longer.  If outside temps
 remain in 90 degree
 range it runs longer to maintain setting.  Love
 it!  Has been in use since
 new in 2006.  BRIAN s/v Serenity #1075

 On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Rick Sulewski <rsulewski at bex.net>
 wrote:

 > Bill,
 > We dock in Sandusky. That way we are only a short sail
 to the islands where
 > we spend most of our time when on the boat at KI &
 Put-in-Bay, on either B
 > Dock, Millers or a mooring ball. Used to live in
 Central Ohio and then in
 > Lorain, before finally moving out here.
 > Rick

 On Behalf Of Bill Hutt
 > Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:35 PM
 > To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
 > Subject: Re: [C320-list] A/C size survey
 >
 > Rick,
 > Where are you at in Lake Erie? My wife and I sail out
 of Whiskey Island in

 <rsulewski at bex.net>
 wrote:

 > > Alan,
 > > We also have a 95 320 and installed a 16K Heat/AC
 unit. The cost
 > > difference between the 12K and 16K unit at the
 time was something like
 > > only $200. It was a no brainer. No problem cooling
 down the V-berth
 > > with a single exit vent above the bread box. Use a
 closed plenum
 > > system with the cold air return box crafted and
 lightly sealed to the
 > > AC radiator coil which reduces recycling because
 it provides cooler
 > > return air to the AC unit rather cooling open
 plenum air that is at a
 > > much higher temperature & humidity and
 increases the volume of
 > > condensate.  We also drain the condensate
 directly to the stern from
 > > the AC unit condensate pan. Recovery time when
 entering/exiting the cabin
 > is minimal with a 16K unit.
 > >
 > > We are down here on Lake Erie and likely
 experience similar
 > > heat/humidity during the summer as Holland, since
 you only about 100
 > > miles north.  You will never regret moving to
 a 16K unit. Think also
 > > about the benefit of a larger unit when it comes
 time to turn on the
 > > heat in the spring and fall, same value-added
 returned with the larger
 > 16K
 > size.
 > > Rick
 > > My-Ria #277

 On Behalf Of Alan
 > > Goodman
 > > Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:51 PM
 > > To: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com
 > > Subject: [C320-list] A/C size survey
 > >
 > > As has been said about many things, size matters
 (lol).  I am
 > > finishing up the design of my A/C system (thank
 you to Warren Updike
 > > and Steve Wash for details and pictures of their
 installs).  I am
 > > considering either a 12K BTU or 16K BTU, but am
 concerned that 16K is
 > > too much cooling capacity for Michigan and will
 result in short
 > > cycling of the unit.  I am polling the forum
 as to what size cooling you
 > have installed and where you are located.
 > > As a starting point, Steve has 16K in Northern
 Indiana and Warren has 12K
 > in
 > > the Chesapeake.   Thank you.
 > >
 > > Alan Goodman  Hull 67  Holland,