[C320-list] led bulbs again

DAVE Swanson kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 12 19:20:54 PST 2014

Jim and Babs,

I have replaced almost all of my Halogen light bulbs with LEDs.  I have different types in different locations.  I read that due to the changing technology and reductions in prices due to wider availability that it is a good approach to replace the original halogen bulbs in a staggered fashion.  That is what I have done over the last several years.  I started with replacing my anchor light with an LED and then purchased a couple of Sensibulbs for the main cabin.  Then added other inexpensive LED bulbs as I have come across good deals.  the following is a lost of what I have done so far on my C320 MK II:

1.  In my directional reading lamps in the main cabin, I have a pair os Sensibulbs.  I like these the best.

2.  In my main cabin overhead, I have flat 12V 9 mini LED bulbs that are a flat G4 replacement that I bought inexpensively at Lowes.  I also put these in the surface fixture lights along the port and starboard side of the main cabin.

3.  In my surface mount light under the dish "cloud" in the galley I have a nine LED round disc.  This light was one of the first ones I purchased at a marine store.  Not very bright though as a task light.

4.  In my aft cabin reading lamps, I purchased front facing disk LEDs with a pair of stiff plug wires out the back that plug into where the halogen G4 bulb would plug in.  they were inexpensive, say around $12/each.  However, i like the Sensibulbs much more.

5.  I still have halogen G4's in my forward cabin as this space doesn't get as much use as the main and aft cabins.  Since I now have lots of extra halogen G4s, I probably will not replace these anytime soon.

6.  I replaced my anchor light with an AquaSignal LED bulb.  Make sure the bulb is put in the correct direction as it will only work one way.  It uses only 1/10 of what the incandescent bulb used.  A great purchase for reliability and reduce amp-hours when anchoring out.

7.  Perhaps the best upgrade that I did was to install adhesive-backed 12V LED strip lighting along the upper part of the wood paneling above the edge of the head liner along the port and starboard sides of the main cabin.  I installed a small toggle switch along the back of the surface mount lights (similar in size and type to the toggle that is on the surface mount lights) to switch the LED strip lighting on and off.  These lights provide a beautiful indirect warm light along the wood paneled sides of the main cabin.  Great for TV watching and when we are playing cards and games.  We use these lights + the directional reading lamps the most in the main cabin.  I purchased the LED strip lighting from reputable eBay lighting dealer.  I was so impressed with it that I bought an extra roll of warm white strip LEDs.  I am going to install some more of this strip lighting as hidden under counter lighting in the Galley as well as some hidden light for the cockpit lockers and even in the trunk of my Honda Accord.  I am going to wire another switch into the galley fluorescent fixture to power the LED strip and to turn it on and off.  there is room in this fixture for this small toggle switch.  I will try to post a picture or two of this main cabin indirect LED Strip lighting in our C320IA website under my Owner's Photo Library.  I have a bunch of other upgrades photos there are well such as Snap Davits, Diesel Heater Installation, Starter battery Install, LinkPro installation, etc.

Our power usage when anchored is much lower now due to these LED lamp upgrades.  I would encourage you to start with just a couple of bulbs in your most used fixtures and just go from there a little at a time.  For me, I started with a pair of Sensibulbs and have added other less expensive types of LED bulbs along the way.

Good luck with your effort, you will be happy with the results.

Dave

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107