[C320-list] Reverse Polarity Question

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Jul 19 12:00:45 PDT 2014

The reverse polarity light detects any significant voltage difference
between neutral and ground at the panel. There should be no voltage
difference because these circuits are supposed to be connected together
"on shore" or in this case, inside the generator. However if the "shore"
connection has a bad connection on the neutral leg then there will be a
voltage difference between neutral and ground because some of the
current will flow through the ground wire instead of neutral.

The bottom line is that you probably have a bad connection in the shore
power connection at the stern, which can start a fire. So yes, it can be
bad for the boat!