[C320-list] Blower switch at helm

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:35:32 PDT 2014

I would guess there is an ABYC standard regarding blowers with diesel
engines.
It is my belief that ventilating the engine compartment is a good idea for
two reasons: 1--it helps to cool the engine compartment as we sleep in the
aft berth; 2--Alternators rapidly lose their output capacity as engine room
temps rise. When I replaced the stock alt with a high-output alt, I extended
the supply air duct with a flex hose along the side of the engine and up
behind the alternator. This helps to keep the alt cool and batteries
recharge faster.
Also, I moved the power supply for the fan from the switched side of the
ignition switch to the hot side so I can run the fan for a while after I
kill the engine; and, run the fan all the time the engine is running.
I'm just that way.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62