[C320-list] Mainsail Upgrade for my c320

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Jun 9 11:47:29 PDT 2014

After reading some of the comments regarding full batten vs. no battens,
etc... I will say this:

There is another C320 in my marina that I often cross paths with out on
the bay. I have the full batten stock sails supplied with the boat in
1996. His boat has been upgraded to a new mast with in-mast furling and
no battens. Otherwise, our boats are very similar. He is two model years
newer than me (1998), and we both have 150 genoas made by North sails.
Both boats are the wing keel configuration.

No matter what he does, he cannot hang with me. I consistently sail
faster than him in most conditions. Now maybe it's a sail trim thing,
but who really knows? I wish we were good enough friends that we could
trust each other to trade boats for a day. I'd love to try my hand at
sailing his boat while he sails mine and see if that makes a difference.

In the end, I really think that unless you are going to convert to
in-mast furling, you'd be better served to stick with the battens. They
do provide a lot of shape to the sail, and allow for more roach. Without
the battens, the roach is reduced or eliminated, which will reduce sail
area (and shape) by a small amount.

If you're looking for convenience AND still have a full batten main, you
may want to consider in-boom furling. There are many schools of thought
on this, and the early systems were not that great, so some people have
come to dislike them. I sailed on one boat with such a system, and as
long as it's properly maintained and operated, it's wonderful. HOWEVER -
if it jams partway in a blow, it could be dicey.

---
Doug Treff
doug at treff.us