[C320-list] Mainsail Upgrade for my c320: Loose Footed w/ Dutchman

Robert Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 14:20:58 PDT 2014

I did a new UK main and head sail 2 years ago.  The main is loose footed with Dutchman flaking, tapered battens of varying lengths none of which are full length.  My sailmaker said the batten selection gave a little better performance than full battens.  I have 2 monofillament lines in the Dutchman system with the A Dutchman system.  Much better set up than the  OEM C Dutchman system with the cam cleat at the boom,  You only have to make slight topping lift tension changes for main launch and take down.  No slits in the main cover.  Just loosen the topping lift to get enough slack in the monofilliment lines to go under the cover and then snug the topping lift line at the boom’s end with a short line attached to the boom’s end and a rolling hitch on the topping lift.  The sail flakes almost a well as with a non loose footed main as it did with the OEM sail in the boom groove.  The clew on the main is attached to the boom with a clew sail slide with strong nylon webbing.  Some folks with different boom designs use nylon webbing going under the boom at the clew.

The loose footed main allows much better fine tuning of the draft and its location in the bottom third of the main.  The varied battens also allow better overall sail shape.

I checked with Dutchman about its system with loose footed mains and they said it works very well with them.
On Jun 6, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Jeff Hare <Catalina at thehares.com> wrote:

> Guy,
> Maybe he just wants to be able to catch you under sail.  :)
>
> The batons are important for performance and a number of other reasons related to holding sail shape, so don't go down that path.
>
> He might have been thinking about the Dutchman instead of batons?  Sloping the Dutchman is a preference call.  For a non-loose footed main I wouldn't be without my Dutchman.
>
> Loose footed Mains and Dutchman I don't have first hand experience with.
>
> I'm probably upgrading to an in-mast furling main next year however.
>
> Jeff
> Woodbine II #809

> Guy Smith <smitski2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> My Main is original on my '97 C320. While it is not shabby, it is baggy and stretched. I was considering replacing it this year and when I mentioned it to a fellow sailor (Hunter owner), he said I should consider doing away with the full battened Main. Has anyone replace their Main with a more traditional, non-battened main?
>>
>> Fair Winds,
>> ~g
>>
>> Guy Smith
>> sv "Pleiades"