[C320-list] Replacing a seacock while in the water

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Tue Jun 10 10:47:03 PDT 2014

The brass ball valve / seacock on the water inlet for the air
conditioner on Moonstruck II was a victim to the brutally cold winter we
had.  Unfortunately, whoever winterized the air conditioner did not get
the last of the water out of the ball valve.  Furthermore, once the boat
was on the hard, the same person failed to open the valve to let the
last bit of water drain out. Yes, I was the guilty party on both counts.

Anyway, the ball valve got a crack in it.  When the boat was launched,
there was no leakage because the valve was cracked above the ball.
However, when the valve was opened water sprayed out through the crack.
Not good.

I went and bought a new ball valve.  This one has a drain or waste port
on it, so that I can just drain out the last bit of water while the
valve is closed and the boat is in the water.

Having no trailer, I set about to figure out how to change the valve
while the boat is in the water.  The simple solution I came up with was
a rubber stopper or live bait well stopper inserted in the thru hull
from underneath.  Unfortunately, after 8 diving attempts with various
sizes of stoppers, I was unable to get one to stay in there securely.
So, I decided to move on to "Plan B", which was to call the marina and
have them deal with it.

They changed it out with no problem while the boat was in the water.
"How????", I asked.

Here is what they used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtNw3m2yIw

I'm sure many of you have seen these before.  I had not.  Gotta get one!

Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)