[C320-list] Diesel vibration, 1999 Yanmar

Jim Sweet jamesweet at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 18 16:58:38 PDT 2014

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a somewhat related issue that
I can't seem to get started as a new thread.  When we hit 2000rpm there is a
"thumping" noise that sounds like something is wrapped around the shaft and
hitting the hull aft of the strut.  It is rhythmic but at a much slower
tempo than the shaft is spinning.  When you take a hard port turn it
increases in speed.  Nothing on the starboard turn.  They have pulled the
boat and there is nothing on the shaft, the shaft is straight and aligned,
the strut is fine and the cutlass bearing is ok.  I have taken everything
out of the lazzerettes and found nothing.  The yard can only come up with a
1/4" play in the bottom rudder bearing so they think that is the issue.  The
"cure" is don't do 2000 rpm or turn up the stereo.  Anybody have any issues
with the rudder bearings, strange noises or a haunted boat?  Thanks.

Jim Sweet
TGIF (Thank God It Floats) 901