[C320-list] Anchor Tackle Review Needed

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Tue Jun 24 11:05:20 PDT 2014

I'm planning a trip to Santa Cruz Island and have upgraded my anchoring
gear and would appreciate your review.
Gear:
1 Delta 10 stock anchor primary in normal conditions
160 Feet 1/4 high test G4 (5mm) short link (wl 2600 lbs)
150 Feet 5/8 3 strand (wl ~2300)
1 Fortress FX23 Storm/Santa Cruz Island anchor (wl ~3,000 lbs)
Anchor snubber 5/8
Shackles are Crosby wl 4,000 lb

I purchased a 30ft 3 strand 5/8 rode with 5/8 suncor stainless captive
thimble connected to a Crosby shackle and chain hook so I could tie off
the anchor chain in limited cases where I'm in heavy winds and I only
have 160 feet of chain or less out and I want to tie off to 2 bow
cleats.  I normally anchor in 30 feet and swing on 1 hook.
http://www.suncorstainless.com/captive-thimble

I wonder if you have experience in anchoring in heavy winds where you
used only one bow cleat. How comfortable are you with using 1 bow cleat
and the anchor roller in heavy weather (30 knots+).  What is your
estimate of the working load of the bow cleats (not anchor locker cleat)
and the anchor roller with loaded line?