[C320-list] boat orientation

wflowe3 at aim.com wflowe3 at aim.com
Wed Jun 25 13:07:14 PDT 2014

I'm having some folks for an afternoon of sailing on the lake. This is not a charter, just a favor some friends that want to try sailing.

My question is, how would you suggest that I introduce a group of guests (6) to the operation of the head in such a limited space, show them how to start, stop, and operate the engine, turn on and off the auto pilot find life jackets, fire extinguishers etc. There is plenty of room in the cockpit to explain releasing the sheets, throwing floatation, dropping the swim ladder and such, it is more the orientation that takes place below deck and behind the wheel.

My thought was to just take 2 aboard at a time, in the slip, until everyone has had a chance, what do you all think.

The sail is obviously weather dependent.

I'm not interested in comments on the wisdom of this trip but would welcome thoughts on what all basic safety topics would be good to cover as well as the best way to make sure everyone is included.

Thanks
Bill