[C320-list] boat orientation

wflowe3 at aim.com wflowe3 at aim.com
Thu Jun 26 09:36:01 PDT 2014

 Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Bill

From: Allan S Field <allan.field at verizon.net>
To: C320-List <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Sent: Wed, Jun 25, 2014 7:12 pm
Subject: Re: [C320-list] boat orientation

I take newbies out quite often.  Following are some of the things I cover,
in addition to what you have stated below:

Rule #1 - The Captain is ALWAYS right.
Rule #2 - When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.
Explain heeling and that the boat is NOT going to go over; reassure,
reassure, reassure.
One hand for you, one for the boat when standing/moving around.  Show them
stern to bow of what they can hold onto safely and what they can't.
When going forward, walk low and hang-on.
If going forward, always go forward on the windward side of the boat
(explain windward/leeward).
One person assigned and another for the back-up to be the pointer and stand
in front of the helm and keep pointing to the MOB if someone goes overboard.
Explain how the LifeSling works.
The throwable PFD goes over first; swim to it and hold on until the
LifeSling comes to you.
Show where the PFD's are.
Kids under 10 are tethered when out of the cockpit.
Kids under 14 wear PFD's at all times.
No pooping on the boat and sit to pee, even men.
Show handholds down below.