[C320-list] Stuffing box

jsheets at aol.com jsheets at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 07:26:48 PDT 2014

I had a post recently about a new shaft and excessive engine vibration. Thank you all for your responses. Following your instructions of turning up the idle it seems to be fixed.

My other problem with the new shaft is that the stuffing box nut is getting very hot when motoring. This was not a problem with the old one. I had the shaft replaced with a stainless steel one instead of bronze. Since then we have tried repacking the box twice, but the packing change does not seem to solve the problem. I have also adjusted the nut to allow more drip. That does not help either. The mechanic wants to haul it out and check over things again. I'm considering a second opinion from another shop in the area.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks as always for your responses.

Jerry