[C320-list] Maxwell 500 VW Windlass

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 14:01:38 PDT 2014

Karl Mielenhausen wrote an article in Mainsheet covering the entire
process. It should be on the website.

Thanks, Chris BurtiFrom: Crosby Roper
Sent: ‎6/‎26/‎2014 3:44 PM
To: c320-list at catalina320.org
Subject: [C320-list] Maxwell 500 VW Windlass
Hi All,
i have a Maxwell 500 VW windlass mounted vertically in the anchor
locker. the manual recommends greasing the unit every three months and
since the boat is 9 years old, I thought it was a bit overdue. I
recently discovered that the clutch had frozen so I set about
dismantling the unit from topside, thinking I would be able to pull
the capstan up thru the deck plate and access the clutch plates this
way.- At least that is what the illustration in the manual
suggests.Apparently not the case. Has anyone underataken this task
and if so, can you give me some pointers on how to proceed. Thanks in
advance.
Crosby Roper VMDTethys Hull #1054