[C320-list] Mixing flooded and sealed batteries

Jerry Clayton jsea at prodigy.net
Sat Jun 28 09:47:52 PDT 2014

I currently have 2 flooded 4D batteries.  One battery will need to be replaced soon and I am considering switching to a sealed HD battery.
My question is can I mix a battery with slightly different specs or will it cause any problems with the charger. I would replace the other battery when needed with a maintenance free battery so they would then both match down the road.
I have the standard Charles charger that came in 2004 models.
Here are the specs for the existing battery (1) and the new sealed battery (2).
            CCA at OF               RCmins at 50f
1)           1000                             1250
2)             900                             1125

I did notice that battery 1 weighs 120lbs vs battery 2 at 102lbs so maybe #1 is more of a truly HD unit.  I have been using flooded batteries since the boat was new and never had to add water very often, but just thought about adding a sealed unit this time.
I don't think it would create any problems.
Any thoughts?

Jerry Clayton
#988 (2004)