[C320-list] Mixing flooded and sealed batteries

Bruce Heyman bruceheyman at cox.net
Sat Jun 28 11:38:27 PDT 2014

Hi Jerry,

Unless the batteries are wired totally separately, in separate battery banks
and charged separately from both the alternator and the AC charger I would
not replace one at a time.

Even if you stay with the same battery chemistry and if they are in the same
bank (two 6v in series or two 12 volts in parallel) you should not even mix
batteries of different ages.  Ideally you will/should get two batteries from
the same manufacturing batch.  Otherwise they will always be less than
optimal.  The new one will give up a portion of its energy charging the
older/weaker one.

Batteries of different chemistries have different absorption characteristics
and different internal resistances that guarantee charging will not be
efficient and may prevent the new battery from ever achieving float.

Afraid you have to bite the bullet and replace them both.

Best,
Bruce

Bruce Heyman
bruceheyman at cox.net
(949) 289-8400
Somerset #671 Dana Point (temporarlily(?) Cabrillo Landing, San Pedro), CA