[C320-list] VC17 - how many cans? - now Weep holes

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 08:02:06 PDT 2014

Hi Elizabeth,

We have hull number 246!

I don¹t think I have seen an answer to your weep hole question.  I did
drill the weep holes.  Catalina sent me a drawing of where they
recommended the holes be drilled.  If you want me to send it to you I
think I need a different email address because I believe the mail server
removes attachments.  The holes do not work perfectly.  What I mean by
that is to remove 100% of the water I need to insert a hose connected to a
wet vac and vacuum it out.

Larry WindSwept C320 #246

On 3/21/14, 7:43 AM, "Elizabeth Schwartz" <schwartz781 at optonline.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>Cover
>> the pan with a board while rolling onto the boat. I do it with 2 cans.
>>
>> John Meyers
>> Muskegon MI
>> Wind Chime
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM, tharrison at innovations-plus.com <
>> tharrison at innovations-plus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bill this was excellent information. I may be able to reduce my vc17
>>> use
>>> by 1 can.
>>>
>>> When you say cover to you mean the roller. Like a 13mm split form
>>> nap?
>>>
>>> When do you change covers?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ted hull 424
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> always use 2.5 cans.  I use a roller from a pan and I don't dilute.
>>> I put
>>> on one coat every other year.  I "prep" the surface with a wet brush
>>> to get
>>> loose stuff off and let it dry.  The key is to do it quickly.  You
>>> pour a
>>> very small amount (compared to if you were house painting or
>>> Alblative
>>> bottom painting) into the pan - maybe such that the liquid extends
>>> about 3"
>>> from the deepest part of the pan up toward the shallow end or about
>>> 2.0 roller widths.  I use a 7" roller (I've used the recommended 4"
>>> but I
>>> get better results with 7").  Do not use a cheap cover.  Get it all
>>> onto
>>> the roller quickly and evenly - 2 or 3 swipes. If the roller can't
>>> hold it
>>> all, then pour less next time.  Then get that load onto the boat
>>> quickly.
>>> Getting that rollerful onto the boat takes me maybe 7 seconds or so.
>>> think (from memory) that it is about 1.5 - 2.0 sq ft or so.  Then
>>> sit in the pan for any time.  What goes into the pan stays in the pan
>>> for
>>> only as long as it takes to get it onto the roller.  For the whole
>>> bottom I
>>> think I tend to use about 3 covers.

>>> more the last few years :).  I used to do the entire bottom front to
>>> back.
>>>  Seemed obvious.  But now-a-days I do the nose (which really has no
>>> flat
>>> bottom surface) and then only the flat bottom surface front to back.
>>> Like
>>> painting a ceiling in a crawl space I tell my friends. I use knee
>>> pads and
>>> am on my knees most of the time unless it is too high.  I have a
>>> small
>>> plastic foot stool that I sit on when I can do so and still reach.
>>> The
>>> flat bottom part is the most uncomfortable for me.  After doing the
>>> entire
>>> flat bottom part then I pull out the stool and do the keel which is
>>> comfortable.  Then I do the rudder mostly standing which is