[C320-list] Masthead sheaves - access

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 14:00:15 PDT 2014

When we de-rigged our boat last winter we attached a thin ‘mousing’ line to the spinnaker halyard so we could draw it back up the mast this spring when we re-rigged.

It jammed!  I think what happened is that as the join of the halyard and mousing line went over the sheave in the masthead it jumped it and the thin mousing line wedged between the edge of the sheave and the side of the block.

I’ve been up the mats to have a look, but  - unlike the boom end - the masthead sheaves and blocks are enclosed with a ‘cap’ and both view and access are minimal.

Does anyone have any bright ideas how to undo this jam in situ or do we have to un-step the mast?

Thanks

Graeme
#303, 1996, Falmouth, UK