[C320-list] Weep Holes / Seperating Couplers

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sun Mar 23 17:55:21 PDT 2014

Just curious about where the coupling is most likely to be frozen, is it a problem splitting the coupler or is it getting the prop shaft out of the coupler? I am going to change out the rubber hose between the prop shaft hull tube and the packing nut assembly since I am methodically replacing all of the engine/water/exhaust hoses (my hull is almost 20 years old).  Also wondering if the issue with frozen couplers is more likely to be a salt water issue than a fresh water problem since I have not had any issues with separating the couplers when I align and adjust the engine mounts to the prop shaft couplers to reduce stuffing box packing from dripping due to excessive packing wear.

I also understood that I could have parted the prop shaft from the coupler last year when I replaced the cutlass bearing by using the wheel puller to pull the prop at the same time if I had first loosened the friction bolts securing the prop shaft to the packing side coupler.  Instead, I  decided to replace the packing shaft hose this spring. I understand that one of the tricks to separate the prop shaft from the coupler is to split the coupler and then place a small nut (smaller than the diameter of the shaft) between the couplers and then slowly tighten the coupler bolts (placing some tension on the prop shaft as  the 2 flanges are drawn together). It was explained to me that a small amount of force should push out the prop shaft to where the prop shaft coupler may then be removed (need to have a short line tied between the prop and the strut to keep the  prop from hitting the rudder when the prop shaft  separates from the coupler).

Rick
95' hull #277