[C320-list] Winter Surprise

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Mar 17 17:37:57 PDT 2014

I'm thinking I might do this on our boat this spring preemptively.  I noticed on Catalina Direct that they offered a 28gallon custom option for the 320.

They suggest doing a mockup to be sure it'll fit the way you want it to, but I'm curious if anyone here has replaced theirs with a larger tank?

The cruising we do would benefit from a larger tank since we'd be able to easily cover any distances we normally travel without needing to fuel up in Expen$iveLand all the time.  It would have to fit through the aft cabin just like the 19gal? stock tank.

What kind of prices have people been seeing for fuel tanks?  Are there any quality non-aluminum options out there that fit the 320?

Finally, when you do install your replacement tank, I wonder if it's not worth giving the bottom and a few inches up the side a few good coats of rubberized spray undercoating dried in the sun to protect it against water or stray metal bits that might get wash up and get lodged in contact with the lower part of the tank and start corroding.  Any thoughts there?

-Jeff