[C320-list] Hull prep

Jon Vez Jonvez at comcast.net
Mon Mar 31 06:13:43 PDT 2014

Allan,

Your comment regarding commissioning hassles caught my attention! This was actually a consideration for me as well. Although we did end up moving up, the dread of going through this process gave me pause. It's not like a car dealership where you can 'shop around'; most dealers have a monopoly on the local market.
When I went into the negotiating process, I insisted they put in writing that they would be responsible for the specific issue of bottom paint not adhering. They did and I also learned why this was such a prominent issue for Catalina's in general, not just the 320.
When the factory started using Vinylester exclusively, they instructed dealers to only Dewax and not to scuff or sand a new bottom as there was concern that this would degrade the Vinylester properties. This turned out to be bad advice and hence the problem with proper adhesion.
My new boat has had no problems with this thankfully. Interestingly enough, they Soda Blasted my 320 when they took it in trade.
One other note on this for us Northerners who tend to haul every year and apply a yearly coat of Ablative. If you talk with the technical folks at the larger paint manufacturers, they will tell you that a big problem is that seasonal painting over a bottom that is still showing the previous seasons paint causes flaking because of the weight of the copper in the paint. A holdover from the days of hard paint is to slap a coat on every Spring (guilty as charged).

Regards,
Jon Vez
C355 #17

Sent from my iPad