[C320-list] Tension settings for shrouds

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 14:39:37 PDT 2014

I'm still learning, too. Unless you are racing I don't think shroud tension
is a big deal. Two riggers I've had on board test the tension by hand and
make recommendations. Granted, I wasn't paying them to tune the rig, they
were there for other reasons. There are several ways to measure the tension
such as Loos gage. Selden manual has a method that uses a rod attached to
the shroud whereby you can measure the tension in millimeters at the
turnbuckle. For a gray-haired cruiser, like me, if the boat moves and the
mast doesn't wobble in the wind, I'm OK.

Still, it seems to me the most important considerations for non-racers are,
in order of priority:
True mast: make sure the mast is straight with no lateral curves. (A look up
the mast track will tell.)
Vertical mast: make sure the mast is perpendicular to the deck. (Use the
halyard to measure to the base of a stanchion on each side of mast.)
Cap shroud and middle lower: both should be quite tight with equal tension
on port and stbd.
Aft lower: should be firm but less than cap and middle shrouds
Fwd lower: should be same or less than aft lower.
Each set of shrouds should have the same tension, port and stbd.

Then, go sailing. On a reach, the lee shrouds should be loose (but not too
loose,) and the windward shrouds should all be under strain. Make
adjustments as necessary.

If you are not comfortable with this approach, have a rigger do it.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62