[C320-list] Bilge pump improvement project input request

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Thu May 15 10:26:25 PDT 2014

Bilge pump improvement project input request

I’m considering doing some improvements to my bilge system on my 2004 hull #972 C320 (deep bilge). My Catalina 320 has a Jabsco 5GPM pump fitted with an inline strainer with rule float switch and a Whale manual pump that was never rebuilt. I’m not sure if the Whale pump is a 28 GPM Titan or a 11.4 GPM Gusher 10. I just had an incident on my friends boat where we were filling the bilge with salt water because of a muffler leak and we were unaware this was happening.  We needed to manual pump our way home because we were far away from land in a shipping channel with no wind with our floorboards floating initially. I’m going to be going to the Channel Islands this year and I’d feel better if I got this sorted before my trip.  I’d like your input before I start this project.

Requirements/ Preliminary Design:

1.       Install an high water alarm under locker in cockpit

2.       Insure that I have the 28 GPM whale pump

3.       Install high water pump like rule 3700.

a.       Switch and pump will be slightly higher than existing. Use aluminum stock to bolted to side of bilge to suspend new pump and high water switch.

b.      Install new 1.5 inch hose and new through hull next to existing  through hull shared by Whale and Jabsco pumps.  I don’t plan to use a check valve at this point.

c.       Wire high water pump/alarm  to battery via an existing 24hr fuse box already feeding my Xantrex battery monitor independent of my battery switch.  I will use a heat shrink connectors with terminal blocks dipped in liquid electrical tape to make the new pump terminations.  My bilge is very dry all the time thanks to gortex packing material. Thanks Jeff!

d.      I don’t plan to use check valves or vents at this point

Questions:

1.       Do I have a Whale 28GPM Titan on my hull #972?  I’m thinking about just ordering a Titan pump new. Is this a plug replacement?

2.       Does the existing shared bilge through hull rely on a check valve in the whale pump to stop reverse flow?

3.       What is the preferred hose path to route the new hose and how difficult will this be? Can your recommend a bilge hose type use that will maximize pump output that can handle coolant and diesel fuel?

4.       Can you please let me know what parts you recommend and suggest design alternatives.

5.       My Primary Jabsco pump/ Rule Float is working fine after 10 years. Should I keep everything the same here or do your recommend I do some maintenance on this pump also.

Thanks in advance.

Danny
Hull 972