[C320-list] Cracking thru hull hoses

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri May 30 07:52:18 PDT 2014

When I purchased a new chunk of hose for the raw water intake, there was
quite a difference in the amount of flexibility even though both were
similar Trident wire reinforced hoses.  When I installed the last intake
hose it just happened that the Trident painted Label was facing up and on
the outside radius of the bend.  So, when it started developing cracks, the
cracks were easy to see as breaks in the Trident painted label.  So, I just
put the new one on in the same way.  I think the old hose was installed in
2007, so that's pretty old for a hose with this sharp a bend.

Good call, It didn't occur to me that the pump and thru-hull might be
different sizes.  The hose to the pump "seems" fine but seems to be getting
a bit stiff also, so good call to check the size.  If we keep the boat,
we'll replace that next season for sure.

-Jeff