[C320-list] Cracking thru hull hoses

Robert Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Thu May 29 19:23:37 PDT 2014

Jeff-I have hull 894 and checked my maintenance book after your note.  I noticed a little cracking and hardening of the thru hull to raw water strainer and strainer to engine raw water pump.  They were replaced in 2009 during their  8th season.  They are different sizes.  The one from the thru hull is 3/4” and the one to the water pump is 5/8” I believe, but would recommend checking IDs before getting new ones.
On May 24, 2014, at 6:29 PM, Jeff Hare <Catalina at thehares.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Interesting find this spring.  Our hull is #809  (2001 model year).
>
>   When I was inspecting hoses this year, I noticed that several of them (raw water intake, galley sink drain and the macerator thru-hull hoses all had cracking near the thru hull fitting that I could see by bending the hoses slightly and using a light.
>
> I was running the engine on land using my winterizing port and a bucket to feed water into the system.  After shutting off the engine I noticed that water left in the line was leaking out of some tiny cracks in the small portion of raw water intake hose connected to the thru-hull.   So, I got a replacement wire reinforced hose.  Taking the old hose off, and bending it a bit, it simple broke wide open.  Glad I noticed this.
>
> Galley sink…  The galley drain hose is similarly brittle but was not as bad but I’m replacing that now.  Same exact problem with the macerator thru-hull hose.  I have a plan to replace all the thru-hull connected factory rubber hoses now.  The rubber is drying out for some reason.
>
> So…  Check all your thru-hull hoses carefully.  If they feel dry or unusually stiff, consider just replacing them pro-actively, rather than wait for them to ruin your trip, cause that’s when they’ll fail of course…  :-)
>
> -Jeff  Hare
> Woodbine II #809

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)