[C320-list] Boom Vang Hydraulic Spring

Stephen Kaplan stepkap at pacbell.net
Fri May 30 09:44:06 PDT 2014

Thank you all for the excellent support.  I will be investigating the vang
spring more closely this weekend when I visit Saline.  As to proper topping
lift adjustment.  I used to diligently adjust  the topping lift just to the
point it almost starts to cause the leech to soften.  Lifting the boom any
higher would definitely affect the main sail set.  Despite this twice I had
wraps that caused damage. Must remember that San Francisco Bay especially in
the central bay area often has several foot swells, whitecaps, 15 -20+ knot
winds and chop.  There are no gentle tacks.

But it does appear that the yard that commissioned Saline never adjusted the
vang spring properly or the unit was defective.  I should have investigated
more closely after the first episode.  What brought my attention to this
recently is I saw an advertisement for Boomkicker (www.boomkicker.com) which
is a cleaver fiberglass spring that is offered to keep booms lifted.  In
speaking with their tech guru, Ted, and sharing a photo of Saline he
expressed surprise that my vang strut didn't provide the same benefit.  This
has probably caused him a sale, but my appreciation of his honesty.  If you
don't have a vang strut you should check out Boomkicker.

Again thanks for the help.
Steve
Saline Hull 980
San Francisco