[C320-list] More Bilge Pump Questions

David MacKinnon david.mackinnon99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 23:24:35 PST 2014

I have not long ago purchased Hull#162 and recently have noticed about 3” of water in the bilge every time we go out for a sail, which was not there before.  I have checked all of the usual areas for water ingress but cannot find any.

 However, whilst trying to get rid of the water using the bilge pump I found that the water was not being ejected from the bilge so I changed the pump and tested that it was working satisfactorily.  However, water was still not leaving the bilge after I tested it installed.

 I had read on the forum that there might have been a relationship between the bilge pump and the shower pump so I turned on the shower pump, with the bilge pump manually activated, and most of the water left the bilge.  I do not understand how the bilge pump is set up & why the shower pump seems to be connected to the outlet from the bilge pump, as that seems like a pretty ridiculous thing to do to me. Can anyone enlighten me about how the plumbing is connected in the early model 320s? I had also tried the manual pump previously but got no results so I am a little concerned about the safety aspects of this.

 As an aside to that, where is the thru the hull outlet for the bilge pump? I have looked everywhere to find a schematic of the complete system but I have not been able to find one.

David MacKinnon
Hull#162 Figment