[C320-list] More Bilge Pump Questions

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Nov 10 05:43:51 PST 2014

This is a little unclear and you might elaborate. When you "tested that
it was working satisfactorily" how did you do the test? What was
different when you "tested it installed?" Did it run after it was
installed? Do both pumps have to be running to empty the bilge, or do
you simply need to turn on power for the shower pump but not actually
activate it? Does the shower pump drain the shower sump?

I have a newer hull number but as far as I know the bilge pump thruhull
outlet is always near the stern, fairly high.

You very well may have a "ridiculous" installation due to misguided
creativity of a former owner. (I can't imagine that the bilge pump and
shower pump were connected in any way when your boat left the factory.)
On a boat I owned previously the intake side of the electric bilge pump
had been hooked up to a mystery hose in the bilge and did not pump the
bilge. Nor could I find the other end of that hose to figure what it was
supposed to be pumping out. But the hose itself always seemed to be
clear. So I disconnected the intake of the bilge pump from that hose and
reconnected it to the strainer in the bilge. This restored the bilge
pump to its original function.

However I now had another hose end of uncertain purpose open in the
bilge. I chose to track that down another day. The next time the family
went for an extended cruise we learned the hard way what it had been
intended for. When the boat started to stink, I tracked the smell to a
bilge filled with brownish, stinking water. Turns out the other end of
that hose went to the top of the holding tank, T-ed into the vent line,
and so the holding tank was now overflowing into the bilge through the
open hose. Apparently the previous owner had decided to convert the
bilge pump into an illegal "solution" to the problem of a full holding
tank. My replumbing had essentially converted the bilge into an overflow
tank!

My family says that all of our funniest stories involve poop.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653