[C320-list] Dry bilge?

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 20 04:09:55 PST 2014

I have seen several notes on how to re-pack stuffing boxes etc...

I also have heard different takes on dripping and "drip less" vs. "dripless".  My wife "hates" water in the bilge with a passion.

Is there a truly safe way to get a dry bilge?  Cost/benefit analysis?  You can but it would cost as muchas the boat etc???

Our box drips 3-5 drips/minute even at the dock.  Is this normal?  I hear it is for cooling underway etc...

What thoughts are out there?

One concern we both have is the odd chance that we have a bilge pump failure (or battery failure) at the dock.  We have shore power but we often can't get to the boat for a month or so.  Worst fear is bilge pump failure and boat sinks.  I know it should not happen within a month or so but there is also the fear of wood deck damage if bilge water rises etc...

Thoughts out there?

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.netH (919)-362-8538C (919)-618-7185