[C320-list] Dry Bilge

Randy Dewhirst redewhirst at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 12:54:17 PST 2014

Ted - Hull #424

I purchased the following:
Lasdrop ARV100VI, 1" shaft, 1 5/8 to 2" stern tube - $234.86 delivered
1" double split SS shaft Collar, 2SSC-100 - $20.34 delivered

I installed the seal myself.  It was not a bad job.  I did it in April
2013 while the boat was on the hard.  Just had to undo the coupling and
slid the shaft back.  Then remove the coupling from the prop shaft
(easy, but there is a trick).  Then remove the old seal components.  I
was a little surprised at the wear on the SS shaft where the packing
from the old seal was after only about 150 engine hours.  Nothing
serious but there was noticeable wear.  After that it was just
installing the new seal according to the manufacturers instructions.  I
also checked the alignment prior to the final assembly of the coupling.

As with anything below the waterline, these seals are not an install and
forget item.  They require checking on a yearly basis if not more often
and bellows replacement after 10+ years for long term trouble free
service.  You can call and talk to Paul Van Der Maas at Lasdrop.  He is
the father of the seal and President of the Company.  I have no
association with the company.

Randy - Hull #999