[C320-list] VHF radio replacement

Amiraults Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 24 14:13:20 PST 2014

Gene:

That was part of this summer's upgrade - something done for the boat every
year. I was faced with an upgrade when the original RAM died and could not
be repaired nor replaced as technology moves on.

For me, having a remote mic at the helm was the most important issue as that
is where I use the radio most. Practical Sailor recommended the RAM 3 from
Standard Horizon as best pick. These mics are not interchangeable between
brands, so electing this mic limited me to SH radios. I installed the GX1700
and am happy. It does all I want it to, but as an inland river sailor I have
no use for AIS, and you should consider seriously whether you might be
better off with access to this, depending on where you sail.

The install went well, but you may have issues depending on the dimensions
of the radio you are replacing and the resulting size of the hole that the
old radio leaves at the mounting location. If, like I, you do not have
on-boat access to GPS, you too might appreciate having SOG data available at
the helm thru the RAM 3 while using the GX1700.

On a related note, the GPS antenna is internal to the unit. Depending where
you mount your radio this may be insufficient, requiring an external
antenna. Mine is over the nav table and I've had no problems with GPS
reception.

When I purchased, there was a company rebate program as well, making the
package reasonably priced. Oh, and using the RAM as an intercom to scare the
willies out of the spouse while she's below - priceless.

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too

---