[C320-list] VHF radio replacement

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 11:51:05 PST 2014

No experience of GX1700 but we  fitted the  Gx2100 three years ago and its been faultless and given good performance and is relatively easy to use.   It doesn't have GPS but takes the GPS feed from the plotter - but it does have AIS built in so no need for  second aerial for or separate AIS receiver. Not sure how important this is for you but we found that its a real boon when anywhere near busy commercial shipping, especially at night. The AIS gives you the MMSI number of the boat you're interested in and you can call it directly using the DSC function.  On our plotter (Raymarine) the AIS fed back its info to show the position of the ships on the plotter screen.

We also bought the RAM mic, i.e. a remote microphone that is plugged in at the helm and gives all the radio functions to the helmsman as well as at the set itself down below.  If this interests you be aware that nota all models can accept the RAM so buy accordingly!

Hope this helps
Graeme