[C320-list] Diesel Odor

Elizabeth Schwartz schwartz781 at optonline.net
Sat Sep 27 06:22:18 PDT 2014

Ahoy......I replaced the fuel tank on my old 30 last year through
Catalina direct........they do list one for the 320.....that original
tank developed a pinhole leak......I could have had it repaired, didnt
want to take the chance of that happening again with a 25 year old tank.
It should'nt be to difficult to replace....new tank lists for just over
500.....good luck. Joe.....245

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 07:52 AM, colloua5 at aol.com wrote:

> Hello Group,
> Has anyone encountered this problem:
> When I top of the fuel tank and the boat is out sailing/heeling over I
> get diesel in the bilge and a smell in the cabin. When the tank goes
> to half the issue subsides.
> I checked the fill and vent hoses, no visible leaks. I checked the
> fuel sender where it enters the tank, no problems there that I can
> see. I then check the fuel lines on the Yam-mar, no problems.
> What I am tending towards is a hole near the top of the tank where the
> banding straps are in contact with the aluminum tank, from dissimilar
> metal corrosion since the banding straps are galvanized steel.
> I am removing the tank as soon as the boat is hauled and replacing it
> with a new tank.
> Has anyone purchased new tank and if so from where?
> Thanks
>

> Lou Reszoly # 427

>>> heat
>>> from the engine coolant to raw water......probably on the aft side
>>> of
>>> engine.....4 hoses attached....on the aft side of mine is a hex bolt