[C320-list] Dock Lines

Jim Brown jbrown5093 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:31:00 PDT 2014

One tip that I've been told is not to have bow lines long enough to reach
the prop. That way with an errant throw (or placement on a piling or dock
cleat) when docking you don't run the risk of fouling the prop. I've always
followed this advice and it could have averted one recent tragedy when a
woman in Oriental, NC threw a bow line when docking and missed and it got
tangled in the prop apparently then pulling her overboard leading to  her
drowning. So I use no more that 25 feet of 5/8 inch for the bow line.

Jim Brown