[C320-list] Replacement of Jib Halyard

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Tue Apr 14 07:24:15 PDT 2015

Regarding Strength of Duct Tape:

Our house is two story with steep roof.  Some years ago, I had a chimney
sweep installing a metal cover over the chimney top.  His ladders were not
long enough to lay on the steep roof, so to reach the chimney, he joined two
ladders together with duct tape and proceeded to do the job. I was highly
alarmed at the way he joined the ladders.  He reassured me that it was going
to work ok and that he did it all the time.  I guess he was correct, since
he recently died at 92 (not by falling) after a long career as a chimney
sweep.  Of course, just to be on the safe side, when I replaced my halyards,
I sewed the butt ends of old and new together, then wrapped the joint
spirally with duct tape, being careful not to make the joint too stiff, nor
the diameter much larger than than the line.  As with others, it worked
fine.

Dennis Harris  C-320  #694