[C320-list] Ultimate Battery setup - seeking suggestions.

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 19 14:05:56 PDT 2015

Whoa, boy, get ready for a deluge (maybe.) Battery power is one of those very controversial topics. Personally, I mostly followed the Part 2 recommendation on the web site with a few modifications. Compass Marine http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects has lots of good battery info. The same guy is a featured forum contributor on sailboatowners.com and there is tons of good stuff there. I urge you to dope out your boats battery wiring (know what each cable is for and how it runs,) document it, study the available information, plan a solution - on paper -, review it with someone you respect, research tools, techniques, make time for the project and go for it. Allow double the time you estimate. If you don't do it right, you'll regret it. We did it and have been very happy.

One of the things you will (likely) learn is that the starting battery doesn't need a "priority charge from the alternator/or AC battery charger." Starting the engine actually takes very little from the start battery. It's the house bank that should have the priority charge. The start battery can be kept at full charge with an echo charger or like device.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62