[C320-list] Teak Steps

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Apr 20 05:00:30 PDT 2015

Ron,

I'm planning to redo mine sometime this season. What you'll have to do with
yours really depends on their condition.  If the finish is original they're
coated with a Target polymer which is very hard and won't strip off easily
except for possibly using heat which has its own obvious risks.  Because the
teak veneer is not too thick on the top, you'll have to sand carefully.

I'm still thinking about using the Target coatings product the factory used,
which I find is super easy to work with and cleans up with water.  I believe
that there is a chemical Cross-Linker sold by Target that can be added to
this to make the surface extra tough and maybe better suited to steps.  I've
always been a tad concerned about the treads being slippery but don't like
the idea of adding non-skid to it because they're tough on bare feet and
break of eventually, tracking around the rest of the floor.

Generally speaking, bare teak is quite non-skid, gloss finish is more
non-skid than satin but gloss seems wrong on a boat full of satin finished
wood.  Others have put adhesive sandpaper like strips on the steps.  So,
once I get them sanded down, I'll decide what to use when I see how they
came out.  Options include:  Danish oil or Target coatings.    I've also
considered taking a page from Island Packet, by routing the 'V' grooves into
a square channel and inlaying a piece of Ipe (Ironwood), Holly, Maple or
some other very hard contrasting wood that sits just proud of the surface so
that there's something to make steps less slippery steps.  If I go this
direction, I'll make a router jig so that this process is a snap and donate
it to the association toolbox.

-Jeff Hare