[C320-list] Teak Steps

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 00:08:23 PDT 2015

I have stripped, rubbed down and refinished the steps on both my current and previous 320 with no wear or slipping problems
I used a heat gun to soften and scrape the worst of the old coating then some non caustic paint stripper but had to resort to careful sanding to remove the old coating from the tread grooves
Refinished with a standard exterior grade satin varnish. As with all varnish you need a minimum of five coats to achieve proper water resistance and ideally double that. I think that's where most people go wrong - thinking two or three coats will do!
We wear boat shoes (or deck shoes depending where you're from - ("two nations divided by a common language" etc!) - or sailing boots and generally make an effort as most owners do, to avoid carrying dirt and grit aboard so they have stood the test of time well (four years on the earlier boat, so far)
They have never felt slippery - even when wet, which in England is a large part of our "summer"!
Graeme
Falmouth, England

Sent from mobile: please excuse typos etc.!